Foodimentary - National Food Holidays
National Popcorn Day
Five Food Finds about Popcorn
- Popcorn is the world’s most popular snack food.
- Popcorn is also the most profitable snack food, with over 1 thousand percent mark up.
- Evidence of popcorn from 3600 BCE was found in New Mexico and even earlier evidence dating to perhaps as early as 4700 BCE was found in Peru.
- Some popcorn has been found in early 1900s to be a purple color.
- At least six localities (all in the Midwestern United States) claim to be the “Popcorn Capital of the World”: Ridgway, Illinois; Valparaiso, Indiana; Van Buren, Indiana; Schaller, Iowa; Marion, Ohio; and North Loup, Nebraska.
On This Day in Food History…
1825 The first U.S. patent for food storage in cans was granted to Ezra Daggett & Thomas Kensett of New York City, after developing the process in 1819.(it took over 30 years to invent the can open. Before then…
View original post 108 more words
I’m having a hard time relating to your posted story today because in FL you can get killed for a bag of popcorn or even skittles; I’m distressed that my 2 sisters live in FL and they don’t “get it”…. one came from Texas and she said if Texas secedes she will be moving back there. I’m concerned about the civil war in politics and I loved your coffee story yesterday but I feel sick this morning looking at this one.