National Popcorn Day
Five Food Finds about Popcorn
- Popcorn is the world’s most popular snack food.
- Popcorn is also the most profitable snack food, with over 1 thousand percent mark up.
- Evidence of popcorn from 3600 BCE was found in New Mexico and even earlier evidence dating to perhaps as early as 4700 BCE was found in Peru.
- Some popcorn has been found in early 1900s to be a purple color.
- At least six localities (all in the Midwestern United States) claim to be the “Popcorn Capital of the World”: Ridgway, Illinois; Valparaiso, Indiana; Van Buren, Indiana; Schaller, Iowa; Marion, Ohio; and North Loup, Nebraska.
On This Day in Food History…
1825 The first U.S. patent for food storage in cans was granted to Ezra Daggett & Thomas Kensett of New York City, after developing the process in 1819.(it took over 30 years to invent the can open. Before then…
View original post 108 more words