Foodimentary - National Food Holidays
National Hot Pastrami Sandwich Day
Five Food Finds about Pastrami
- Pastrami was originally created as a way to preserve meat before modern refrigeration.
- For pastrami, raw meat is brined, dried, seasoned with various herbs & spices, then smoked or steamed.
- Pastrami is a technology for preserving meat that our ancestors used before refrigerators.
- To make pastrami, you start by making corned beef.
- By smoking corned beef, you turn it into pastrami! Smoking adds flavor to the meat.
On This Day in Food History…
1814 The last London Frost Fair on the frozen Thames River. Entertainment, and a large selection of food vendors on ice.
1841 Juliet Corson was born. A cookery teacher and writer, founder of the New York Cooking School in 1876. She wrote many articles and several cookery books, including ‘Cooking Manual’ (1877), ‘Twenty-five Cent Dinners for Families of Six’ (1878) and ‘Miss Corson’s Practical American Cookery’ (1886).
1861 David Wesson was…
View original post 194 more words