Foodimentary - National Food Holidays
National English Toffee Day
Five Food Finds about Toffee
- Toffee and Caramel are sometimes interchangeable.
- Toffees consist of mainly sugar and water, while caramels use dairy products in their production, making them softer
- Almondy butter treats are toffee from England. This kind of candy is known globally and has many varieties.
- Michigan toffee comes in varies styles, some hard and some chewy, some chocolate covered with nut sprinkles.
- Tafia, a West Indian rum of molasses or sugarcane juice, is theorized to be the source of the word.
On This Day in Food History…
1676 Charles II of England revoked his previous proclamation suppressing Coffee Houses due to public response.
1800 The first soup kitchens in London were opened to serve the poor.
1823 Alfred Russel Wallace was born. Wallace was a British naturalist who developed a theory of natural selection independently of Charles Darwin. He…
View original post 176 more words